Sunday, October 18, 2009

HIJAB...

So, this morning as I was driving home from taking my mom to work around 7:00 am-ish, I started thinking about hijab (again). I was thinking about why some people decide not to wear it and why I haven't done it yet. I was watching something on the internet, I forget what it is, and this sister said that she decided to wear hijab and she decided to take it off. She said that since hijab is mention very few times in the Holy Qur'an, than her whole faith in God shouldn't revolved around the concept of hijab.

'Hmmm', I thought. I mean it is a good point, but then I thought, "Since it's only probably 2 or 3 times in the Qur'an about maintaining our modesty, maybe the point was that its really not that difficult to wear hijab. Maybe the point was that since its only mentioned a few times, then that makes the decision to observe hijab a few times easier."

I think about wearing hijab [and niqab] daily, but I tend to come up with excuses that would deter me from observing my Lord's command.

So, considering the simplicity of this command, why do we make it harder on ourselves for deciding to please our God? I'm sure we have harder things to observe within Islam than remaining modest.

Just something I was thinking about.

“O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.” (Quran 33:59)
    “O you Children of Adam! We have bestowed on you raiment to cover your shame as well as to be an adornment to you. But the raiment of righteousness, that is the best. Such are among the Signs of Allah, that they may receive admonition.” (Quran 7:26)
    “And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear therof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands’ fathers, their sons, their husbands’ sons, their brothers, or their brothers’ sons or their sisters’ sons, or their women or the servants whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex, and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O you Believers, turn you all together towards Allah, that you may attain Bliss.” (Quran 24:31).

5 comments:

Hana said...

Salaams sis, I'm a revert too. It can be really tough on sisters living in western countries (I'm in the UK).

I'm a designer so it was soooo difficult uniting my personality in dressing with hijab. 4 years on I think I'm there, it's worth the struggle!

You can see my attempts and inspiration on my blog www.stylecovered.com

I just wanted you to know that if you ever need encouragement or some sisterly support you can get in touch hana @ stylecovered . com

nida said...

I think a lot of times we as Muslims forget that the Qur'an was also revealed within a historical context, even though it transends times and it is universal in it's message. Remember that many women already covered most of their body in those days, and conssider that Allah subhanu wa ta'ala said "draw your veils over your busoms" - meanign that women already wore it - so there was no need to make it that strong of a statement. Also, the Qur'an, as we know, is not our only resource to modesty. We can see numerous a-hadith which also cite the importance of hayah and taqwa and covering one self infront of non-mahram men. And though some may negate the a-hadith and deem them as less 'important' or 'debatable' - remember that Allah also said believing in Him INCLUDES being obedient to the sunnah. So I think it is a big part.

In the end it is a woman's CHOICE - BUT --- the intention for choosing what you have is what really counts. If your intent was to do good then alhamdolillah - and inshaAllah it becomes easier for you and anyone else conssidering hijab --- but yah in the end Allah knows best. :)

||Roshan|A|| said...

OH SISTERS--- Jazak'allah khair for your comments. One of the first things that drew me to Islam, was the mystery and beauty behind the veil. I ache to embrace, but it's so weird how one can hold oneself back with doubts. I truly appreciate your support. :) Keep up with the blog and insha'allah you'll be able to see my process with embracing hijab. :)

Altitude said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

sis u r very lucky
to be given this gift called modesty

ALL MY BABIES!